Wednesday 21 December 2011

GAMSAT Reading List

www.emergencyone.com.au

Hi all

Time for another update. A friend's boyfriend is attempting GAMSAT this year and she asked some time ago what I did to prepare. I've already outlined what I DID, so I thought I might post about what I READ.

So here goes, my GAMSAT reading list. I guarantee that the following list contains all of the requisite knowledge to pass GAMSAT (this is not something miraculous, it's posted in plain English on the ACER website). PS: please excuse the lack of Harvard referencing :)

Science:
  • Chemistry and Chemical Raectivity: 5th edn, Kotz and Treichel (well written)
  • Introduction to Organic Chemistry; 2nd edn, Brown (nothing was going to make me love organic chemistry, but this book helped me to not hate it entirely!)
  • Biology, 5th edn, Campbell, Reece and Mitchell (I love this book and it's currently serving as my mouse pad!)
  • Physics Key Ideas: 3rd edn, Essentials Education (this was my actual physics book for year 12, it's alittle clunky but solid)
  • My year 11 maths book (can't remember it's name but it was as useless at that time as it was in high school....but I did a lot of practice questions to hone my mathematical skills)
  • Mensa Logic Brain Teasers
Humanities:
  • Defying Hitler: Sebastian Haffner (an illuminating account and cautionary tale of being a regular person in pre-NAZI Germany, great book)
  • Kidnapped: Robert Louis Stevenson (one of my favourite books as a child)
  • Treasure Island: Robert Louis Stevenson (another fabourite)
  • Tao Te Ching: Lao Tzu (a little less reader friendly, only read part of it)
  • Oliver Twist: Charles Dickens (I've tried on multiple times to read Dickens and always struggled with the style of writing; when I finally comitted to reading this I LOVED it! Great for honing your language manipulation skills)
  • The Story of My Life: Helen Keller (an amazing book and all round amazing woman)
  • English Passengers: Matthew Kneale (won the 2000 Whitbread Book of the Year, my all time favourite book, I've read it 3 or 4 times now!)
  • Angela's Ashes: Frank McCourt (before it was a sequel and a movie and a t-shirt and a breakfast cereal....thanks Oprah....it was just an all round top read....another of my favourites!)
  • The New Testament (I was tempted to put Jesus as the author....but that might offend some people :) I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to be learnt from some of the wisest people the world has ever seen)
  • The Annalects: Confucius (what a legend, top read)
  • The complete works of Gary Larson (if you get his humour you basically a shoe in for the humanities)
Movies
  • Lorenzo's Oil
  • Patch Adams
  • Good Will Hunting??
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • There were more but I can't recall off the top of my head
Music
  • Vivaldi
  • Pachelbel
  • An assortment of other classical music that I found inherently easy to listen to, I think the main album was entitled 'The Best Classical Music of All Time Ever' or somthing similarly silly, but the music was great
I would also highly recommend the BrainWaves app from the iTunes store. It uses binaural tones to induce certain states of mental activity. It's not entirely mumbo jumbo, there is actually some degree of scientific, peer reviewed evidence behind its efficacy, though I won't proport myself to be an expert in the field!

All told this reading list is worth about $500 from any online book seller or, to quote Good Will Hunting, about $5 in late fees from your public library. It took me 3 1/2 weeks of solid reading for 10+ hours a day to get through this lot and take notes. Best time I ever spent and it achieved what I set out to achieve.

As a side note, remember there is a rate of memory attrition to anything you learn. Let's assign it an arbitrary value of 5% per day. Cramming every day for a solid month before test day is better than a year of studying 1 hour per day. 5 years down the line I remember officially none of what I studied, but I could re-learn it all in a month if needed. Of course studying an hour each day is a good habit and worth while to do, but bear in mind that the GAMSAT is an 8 hour (ish) Battle Royale. You need to go into that thing like a finely tuned athlete ready to smash the competition. Maybe study for an hour a day for the 11 months before February, but in February/March, you train like your life depends on it!!

Good luck peeps!

8 comments:

  1. I thought there was no reading list on the gamsat page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no official ACER endorsed reading list, rather the above is meant to be a useful starting point and the one that I used. There's no information covered in GAMSAT that isn't covered in these books. Remember the standard set for GAMSAT is only 1st year chemistry & biology and year 12 physics. This list is a basic first year science text list plus some 'brain food' for Section I. Good luck with your studies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are aware that the rod of Asclepius is the symbol for medicine and not that of Caduceus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey..can anyone suggest mme, I need to work full time while I am in my preparation. Can anyone suggest me how can I take a good preparation even if working full time please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say the exact thing Nishat! I work full-time although; I will sit the GAMSAT tomorrow. I am no way prepared but I am going to give it a shot as preparation for next year in March. I am hoping to do study on 3 nights a week for around 3 hours (difficult when you get home late after work) and then assign Saturday daytime and Sunday daytime to study. Obviously it's hard when you have a household to look after but this may hopefully guide you. I also haven't that studied Chem and Physics in 12 years so I'm still wrapping my head around it again! I unfortunately threw away all my excellent study notes from uni :(
    My study plan has been going okay on the weekend but I find studying after work a struggle especially because the work I do is also mentally draining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **Sorry about the above grammar; I wrote this from my phone and I am terrible on the touch screen!

      Delete
    2. **Sorry about the above grammar; I wrote this from my phone and I am terrible on the touch screen!

      Delete